CLOSE

Get breaking news updates and read about trending stories sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Pacific Daily News

The Archdiocese of Agana on Tuesday announced it would halt monthly honorarium payments effective Wednesday, July 1, for former Archbishop Anthony Apruon.

Apruon was found guilty of sexual abuse of minors by the Vatican’s Apostolic Tribunal of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in 2018.

More: Vatican upholds guilty verdict against Apuron

More: Lawsuit: Priest molested boy during recess

He was removed as Guam’s archbishop.

The archdiocese still sent monthly payments of $1,500 to Apuron, even as the archdiocese filed for bankruptcy, according to the archdiocese. 

Archbishop Michael Byrnes, who succeeded Apruon, is currently on extended leave after undergoing hip surgery. 

Father Ron Richards, episcopal vicor of the archdiocese, said in a news release that Byrnes heard from more of the survivors. 

“Recognizing the pain these survivors have experienced from the sexual abuse in the past, he sees the continuation of remitting this honorarium as a further deepening of the wounds they are trying to heal from,” Richards said. 

Richards also said in a letter to Apuron last week that the monthly payment has been difficult for survivors of sexual abuse to comprehend.

“The victim survivors see this honorarium, to a credibly accused violator of delicts against the Sixth Commandment, as contrary to justice and a continuation of the abuse they suffered at the hands of the clergy,” Richards stated. 

Read or Share this story: https://www.guampdn.com/story/news/local/2020/06/30/archdiocese-stop-monthly-payments-anthony-apuron/3283714001/