A Dunedin man discovered a protracted, skinny needle when he bit right into a banana purchased from Countdown Andersons Bay. Picture / 123rf
Inventory was pulled from grocery store cabinets after a Dunedin man discovered a needle in his banana.
The Ministry for Main Industries stated it was investigating after a person discovered a protracted, skinny needle when he bit right into a banana purchased from Countdown Andersons Bay.
His spouse, who didn’t wish to be recognized, stated she had purchased the bunch of bananas on Saturday.
Her husband seen the needle when he began consuming the banana at work — it was not seen from the surface, she stated. They took the bananas again to the shop.
She stated each Countdown and the ministry took the problem critically, and she or he was instructed the shop had been reviewing safety digicam footage.
In a manner, it was fortunate her husband had picked up that specific banana, the girl stated. Usually they used bananas in smoothies for breakfast, and their blender would have damaged the needle into items sufficiently small to have been swallowed.
Ministry meals compliance companies nationwide supervisor Melinda Sando stated the ministry had spoke to Countdown and was investigating.
There was nothing to counsel the needle was added within the provide chain, and it gave the impression to be an remoted incident, she stated.
Countdown company affairs, security and sustainability normal supervisor Kiri Hannifin stated the grocery store chain was made conscious of the problem on Monday, and it instantly notified the ministry.
It additionally briefly eliminated the bananas from cabinets at its Andersons Bay and Dunedin South shops, however had been suggested it might promote them once more. It had adopted the ministry’s steerage and had not been directed to take any additional motion.
“Meals security is the utmost precedence for Countdown and we take incidents like this extraordinarily critically.”